STAYING ACTIVE DURING THE HOLIDAYS
By Unnu Shukla
Realistically speaking, your main goal during this time of year should be to simply relax and enjoy the holidays while maintain your endurance. Here are some ways to stay active and on track during the holiday season:
1. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Since this time of year is always incredibly busy, one of the best ways to stay active without carving out a huge amount of time is through HIIT. It will improve your mood and help you unwind.
2. Recruit a Training Partner: While it’s hard to motivate yourself to get going while at home over break, it’s easier if you aren’t doing it alone. Even better, workout with a family member – it’ll squeeze in some extra bonding time, and you’ll be less likely to skip!
3. Get Everyone Involved: Going off the last tip, it’s important to remember that the holiday season should be a time shared with your friends, family, and loved ones. So, get the whole gang involved in staying active by signing up for a festive 5K, playing a few pickup basketball games outside, or even just a daily walk to get everyone moving (to perhaps get ready to register for Longhorn Run… hint hint).
4. Splurge: No, not on dessert (but if you want to, hey…)! Investing in quality outerwear and fitness gear might be the push you need to get outside and get moving, while not feeling like you’re about to get a frostbite. It’s always good to #treatyoself occasionally, food-related or not.
5. Keep Track to Stay Motivated: Join the Nike+ UT Campus Leaderboards and earn rewards as you reach new NikeFuel goals. Earn NikeFuel by logging your workouts utilizing the Nike+ Running and the Nike+ Training Club apps, and when you’re back on campus, by participating in a variety of RecSports activities. The Leaderboards will be active during the holiday break to help you stay motivated even while away from the 40 Acres.
At the end of the day, however, the holidays are a time meant to be enjoyed with your loved ones! It’s all about finding the right balance, and doing what makes you feel healthy and happy, both mentally and physically.
Let’s finish this year strong and gear up for 2016!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.